Privacy is important. As my reader, your privacy is important to me too.
The Short Version
When you visit Chronic Illness Trauma Studies, your IP address and other information (such as the day, time of your visit, amount of time you spend on the Site and number of pages you visit, your country or general part of the world you are logged in from) are tracked anonymously for the purpose of understanding trends and helping me provide information that is most relevant and helpful. This is not unique to this site and is common practice across the internet. It is done through “cookies” (learn more below).
If you submit your email address by subscribing or by downloading a free document on my site such as an ebook, I add you to my secure mailing list. I send blog posts to this list about every 2 to 8 weeks. I do not rent, trade or sell your email or use it for any other purpose and you can unsubscribe at any time.
On ChronicIllnessTraumaStudies.com you’ll find a lot of links to other sites, over which I have no control, nor do I have control over the privacy policies of those sites. Policies of other sites may differ from mine.
The Detailed Version
- Personal identification information. We may collect personally identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our site, subscribe to the newsletter, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personally identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
- Non-personal identification information. We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
- IP addresses are used by your computer every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer. IP addresses are automatically collected by our web server as part of demographic and profile data known as “traffic data” so that data (such as the Web pages you request) can be sent to you.
- Email Information. If you choose to correspond with us through email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses. We provide the same protections for these electronic communications that we employ in the maintenance of information received online.
- Web browser cookies. When you browse our web site, you do so anonymously. We may log your IP address (the Internet address of your computer) to give us an idea of which part of our web site you visit and how long you spend there. Like many other web sites, the Site may use a standard technology called a “cookie” to collect information about how you use the site.
- How we use collected information. This Site will not obtain personally-identifying information about you when you visit, unless you choose to provide such information to us, nor will such information be sold or otherwise transferred to unaffiliated third parties without the approval of the user at the time of collection.
- ChronicIllnessTraumaStudies.com collects and uses Users’ information to
- Deliver services that you request (such as showing you the web page you request or, with email, to deliver free downloads).
- Send blog posts. These educational / informational posts address topics about chronic illnesses, trauma and related areas of interest such as the science showing how life events affect risk, surveys, new documents available for download and the like.
- If you have entered your email in order to leave a comment, it is not made public. Occasionally we use your email to respond directly if you have a question and do not seem to be receiving responses through our Site; or if you are having difficulty with something such as downloading an item, seeing the post or making sense of an image, for example. Submitting your email to leave a comment does not subscribe you to our blog post mailing list and is not used for any other purpose. You are welcome to ask to have your email address removed when you submit a comment and we can do so when approving your comment (asking to have your email removed does not determine whether your comment will be approved).
- If at any time the User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email or User may contact us via our Site.
- How we protect your information. We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information and data stored on our Site.
- Sharing your personal information. We do not sell, trade, or rent Users personal identification information to others.
- We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners or in communicating about the Site (such as number of subscribers).
- We never sell or rent your personal information. Provider may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law (for example, a subpoena) or regulation, or in good faith to (a) comply with legal processes served on the site, or (b) protect the rights and property of Provider, or (c) where our records indicate fraudulent activity or other deceptive practices that a governmental agency should be made aware of, or (d) where your communication suggests possible harm to others.
- Provider uses (but is not limited to using) the following sub-processors in order to carry out business activities. Your data may not be processed by every sub-processor listed, and conversely may be processed by more than those listed, depending on the nature of interaction you have with this site:
- Mail Chimp (this is who I use to gather email sign ups in order to send blog posts)
- Thrive Themes
- Word Press (WP hosts my website and shows statistics, such as number of site visitors, etc)
- Google Analytics
- Provider will not share your information with third parties without your permission, other than what is mentioned in this Privacy Notice. It will only be used for the purposes stated above. We use personal information to reply to enquiries, handle complaints, provide operational notices, keep records up to date to notify you via periodic e-mails of technical service issues, or other related information. Your information may be shared with agents or contractors of Provider for the purpose of performing service for Provider.
- Third party websites. Users may find content on our Site that links to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
- Your acceptance of these terms. By using this Site, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use this Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
You can read my Disclaimer here.
Last Updated May 18, 2018